I have asked the founder and the designer Amalie Egholm from the Danish clothes brand "Dear Starlet" - 6 Questions. ”Dear Starlet” designs and develops modern clothes for Women with extra Curves. I was so curious to know more about Amalie and her story behind - who had the courage and belief to create something new for real women who has curves.
6 Question to the designer Amalie Egholm, by Sofia Wean.
What I partly wonder is if your target group is mainly for Women over 30?
Yes it is, if you want to define it by age. The clothes are definitely for the confidant and self-conscious woman, who loves her looks and who likes to accentuate her female curves. When I design, I design for a fictive person who is a composition of female elements that I like; an extrovert, powerful woman with a strong sexuality. That specific image can match both women in there twenties as well as women in there forties. However, I feel that women in there thirties often have that self-confident “female power” that I wish to emphasize with “Dear Starlet”.
What is your opinion on the current fashion trends for Women 30+?
I think that there is an increasing openness towards the way trends comes into existence. Women dress very individually and use the various options they have as well as the fact that it is allowed to mix and match all kinds of styles. They create individual and special looks and expressions that make us different from one another. That individuality, in my opinion, is often more distinct with women over thirty, where their maturity and self-confidence allows them to differ from the crowd. I also think that it is clearly reflected in the way women dress, that exclusivity in fashion has become readily accessible and that women appreciate wearing quality clothes. It has never before been so interesting to watch women from a pavement café. Women look more different than ever and it is a thrill. All we need is for the fashion industry to additionally increase the level of portraying women as they really are in all shapes and sizes and thereby help “Dear Starlet” on our way.
Which 3 Items would you recommend for Women regardless of their Age?
The perfect pair of Jeans can do almost anything for a woman. Jeans can be both practical if you are very active one day, but they are also great when you are going out in the evening. What is crucial about jeans is simply to find the right model, in which you feel comfortable and which fit your exact body type. From Autumn/Winter ’09 “Dear Starlet” is introducing the first jeans collection where the fit is in focus. Women have many different shapes and sizes and especially after turning thirty, it is very individual how the body develops. That is why we have tried to create a jeans collection, where all kinds of women have been part of our considerations.
A wonderful sweater in a super nice merino or cashmere wool is an investment that will come in handy in many different situations. It can be cozy to tuck yourself into on a Sunday evening on the couch, but it can also fulfill an outfit on workdays. In our collection, which is in stores now, we have a really nice knitted cardigan that is 100 percent Mohair wool. A sweater like that is an investment for many seasons because of its high level of sustainability both when it comes to the material but also the design. Every woman should also own “a little black one”. Not necessarily in the classical sense of the expression with the simple cut, but a garment that always works for you and that you know you can count on when you’ve been through your whole wardrobe and nothing seems to work, then “the little black one” has to be there as a savior. Whether it is a long skirt or a light silk dress a garment that always works for you is as important as having a girlfriend that you can always call.
For how long has "Dear Starlet" existed?
Our first collection was in stores the Autumn/Winter ’08 season.
How did the founding "Dear Starlet" come about?
I wanted to do that after having looked into the possibilities in fashion for plus size girls for years. If you are a size XXXL you have for a long time had only a small part of the possibilities that a size M has. I do not think that is fair and when you think about how many things plus size girls are prevented from and exposed to I think it is only appropriate that the fashion industry gives out more positive signals. In “Dear Starlet” we are not necessarily occupied with what is ethically and morally right or wrong, we just take a stand on the fact that women can be beautiful in all sizes and shapes and that all women have the right to chose to dress in exclusive and fashionable clothes.
Where can one find your clothes in Copenhagen, in the North and in Europe?
Søstrene Nielsen, Copenhagen, Denmark
La diva (webshop) www.ladiva.dk
Klædeskabet, Greve, Denmark
Big Times, Frederikssund, Denmark
Salt, Fanø, Denmark
Polleke, Leiden, Holland
Copyrights (C) 2009 by Sofia Wean
I have been written down some basics Style Secrets that could be usable!
This is the perfect Time to find the Perfect thing that expresses quality, flexibility and magic Elegance. The Autumn/Winter is finally Here and these season Fall Collections celebrates and enjoys the natural beauty in reflected style models such as high waist, wide trouser and clear color that gives a bigger variation and tolerance for more Women with forms that are Ageless together with a trendy elegant petit clutch. Start with some few key pieces of the Season, such as
* Slim fitted pants
* A Stylish Blouse
* A Simple Dress
* A Short Blazer
* An Elegant Knit
1. Keep your Base colors neutral but add a feminine touch such as dusty or rosy colors. The Season’s perfect palettes are Olive, Grey, Dark Blue and Black - or the color palette brown, gold and off-white. The Ideal colors for your basic wardrobe essentials.
2. Learn to Layer, one top over the other top - Layering work for all Ages. Pep up your ensembles with Metallic extras or dress it Up by mixing textures and pairing it with a nice top and stacked heels.
Metallic colors can Piff your Daily outfit up.
3. A short suit or a full skirt suit is always surprisingly wearable option. Fresh outfits for both office and the weekend and you could accessorize it with a petit clutch and some funky jewelry, a jeweler as a simple big Watch.
4. A fitted jersey dress is basic when it’s having a touch with an alligator belt, and a classic fur west is more sophisticated when it’s worn over a ruffle blouse.
5. A classic elegant outfit that never goes out in time is the leather jacket, the black rollover, and comfortable jeans together with a stylish short blazer.
6. For a more elegant look, go for a pretty two-toned sandal along with a structure handbag to round out the outfit or try some sweet suede moccasins.
7. DON´T BUY the same style models year after year that you Always do. TRY to RE-fresh and define your self. Try some new shapes and some dusty or clear colors every Season. Perhaps you finally find your perfect color!
8. Most of the clothes we often buy shrink one size smaller after wash so BUY your personal size one size bigger if the size you try in the store is too precisely.